ATTENTION
Elder Goodwin will return home from Honduras on Thursday, June 30. His mission report will be on Sunday, July 10 at 1:00 PM at the church on Greenslake Drive. All are welcome to attend.

Monday, September 13, 2010

09.13.10

Hey. What is to the up? How is everyone doing. My computer is frustrating me. They need to invest in getting higher quality machines. Dude, they should get a Dell. I'm paying them 75 cents and hour for this kind of service? What a rip off! Haha, jk. The coolest font in Microsoft word is castellar. And that is why I am using it.

Meanwhile, back in Honduras….every single time we walk past a group of kids in Honduras, they shout at us, "HOW ARE YOU?" In english. But they say it like Chinese robots. HOW ARG YOUUUUUU! Me and my companion just respond back in English once in a while and they start laughing their heads off. It's really funny.

We had the 2 baptisms last week and we had a really great turnout. We actually sang, “I Like to Look for Rainbows” in Spanish in the service. We made copies and everything. It was very beautiful and you could feel the spirit very strong. So Brenda and Bryan are officially baptized and have the key that allows them to enter into the kingdom of God. The only thing left for them is enduring to the end.

So something really awesome happened this last week. Today, actually. We finally have all the documents we need to get a marriage done. We have 2 more couples who are just waiting for documents. But one family are going to be able to get married this week. The dad is already member. But we are going to talk to the mom about baptism and it is very likely she will be baptized the very next day. She has been going to church for about 2 months now. Her kid is one of the baptisms we’ve had here. But she’s just been playing the waiting game with the papers in Honduras for a wedding.

Sometimes I wish I was in Vegas when we need to get a marriage done. Just drive them through a drive-thru sign here, sign there and get it all done in 5 minutes. But no, we have to wait, and wait, and wait some more. Now, with their wedding, it costs 20 dollars. Not much in the US, but asking for quite a sacrifice for a low-end family in Honduras. The dad doesn’t have a job. And the wife kind of has a job but not really. She doesn’t get paid much. They said they barely have enough money for food. But Southwick and I offered to pay so that they can keep the commandments of God. They have a sweet little family. You’ll all see next week if she is baptized. If she is not baptized next week, it will be the week after. She is awesome though. She reads the pamphlets and takes notes on what she learns and stuff. She is really on the ball.

We also will have a boy as a possibility this week. He has been to church 5 times and is living in the house with members. His dad is kind of a ding dong. But he is member. He just decides to have babies with any girl he meets. And when he ask him about church he just says, “probably. We’ll see. Maybe.” Stuff like that. But he is living with a really strong sister in the ward who always is there at church. Jehson is 11 years old and really smart. He will have support with the strong sister. The strong sister is one of the many women the ding dong dad has had children with.

Now for next week (25) of September, we will have another family (They themselves are going to get their papers in order, they’re sick of waiting! Haha). This family is amazing. I love them so much. They are so nice and warm. The mom has been going to church for almost a year now. Constantly. But the dad decided that Sunday is his day of rest and he needs to chill in the house. But we have helped him understand what “Day of rest” really means and he is now going to church.

We are also baptizing some kids. We would baptize the dad together with them, but the leaders have advised us to baptize the kids before. The reasoning behind that is because the dad was married 27 years ago to a different woman, and that same lady now lives in the US. She is married as well in the US. However, a divorce is a nightmare in Honduras. It costs a lot. And it takes a lot of time. Even though it happened so long ago, they have to get divorced before he can get married with the lady he’s living with right now. Especially because he is now going to have to contact his ex-wife in the US and get her to sign written consent that she agrees with the divorce and then she will have to send it back to Honduras in a letter. Anyways, I’ve heard that takes years to get all done, so we are going to baptize the kids and encourage them to keep going to church and keep reading the BOM as a complete family. Most of all, to have patience and to not get discouraged.

The guy is a trucker so he hardly has any time. But we gave him a BOM and a CD of General Conference Talks and Moroni recorded on the CD. He is reading the BOM and really liking it. He is really kind. He was a heavy drinker 5 years ago and is really, really sincere. Hasn’t drank a drop since.

Last week we played basketball again and my team came from behind 13-7 and won 16-1. We played with all Gringos so it was actually fun and competitive. Latins should definitely stick with soccer. All they do is hack and hack. Anywyas, it was a glorious comeback involving threes and fearless drives. It was extremely fun to play basketball.

My companion fell asleep this week in his white shirt, his pants, his belt, the whole nine yards. I of course, took advantage of the situation, and took a picture of it. I will be attaching it to this e-mail. It was a pretty funny sight.

You know what I had to do this last week on Sunday? Well, don’t worry, I’ll tell you. Last week, the Elder’s Quorum president asked me to give the lesson. Of course I said yes, no big deal. But on Friday, the bishop asked us both to talk in Sacrament. And after Sacrament, we have to teach a class for the investigators. So I talked, taught a class for the investigators, and then taught the Elder’s Quorum class! I was a bit worn by the end of the block, but it was a good experience. I learned a lot. I talked about Faith in Sacrament, tithing in the second class, and the organization of the Church of Jesus Christ in the third class. A variety of topics, but it was good. It was nice to get Southwick’s help in the class with the investigators.

So by months end, we should have 8 baptisms. Brenda. I’ll keep you posted on the progress they’re making and let you know about any challenges we experience. I don’t know what I’m going to do when I get back. I am too used to being a missionary and having these responsibilities in teaching and finding and baptizing. I think I will freak out when I get back.

Well, it’s time to turn in another week. Thanks for your love and support. Here is a cool picture of the baptisms and Elder Southwick sleeping in his clothes. LOVE YOU!!!!

Elder Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment