ATTENTION
Elder Goodwin will return home from Honduras on Thursday, June 30. His mission report will be on Sunday, July 10 at 1:00 PM at the church on Greenslake Drive. All are welcome to attend.

Monday, May 24, 2010

05.24.10

Que honda? That is a sweet phrase that I always say that means, what's up? How you doing? I am loving things here in Mezapa. I am having a smile on my face and helping others understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ and always looking for new and more people.

Well, let me calm your hearts. The girl that got baptized last week came to her confirmation! There we go. That's what I am talking about. She is baptized by the fire now and officially marked as saved in the Kingdom of God. She has the guidance and comfort of the Holy Ghost. I am reading Our Heritage right now from the missionary library and wow, it's good. I highly reccommend it. There is a phrase in there from one of the prophets, "The kingdom of God, or nothing." And one has the slogan that I think Nike stole from him, "Do it." But it talks about all the sacrifices that people made and still make in our church and wow it makes you realize how truly blessed we really are.

So I didn't send the pictures of my shoes, and I realize this. I will be sending it in this e-mail. My computer was maddening me last week. It was freezing and taking 8 hours to even keep up with my typing speed. I believe I hold the Fastest Typer in the West title. I definitely have some speed in my fingers. I can't lie. But anyone who dares defy my title, I stand waiting with keyboard in hand. I remember always destroying and demolishing dad in typing contests. But my computer is really good right now so I'm feeling good.

This week went really good. I am happy with what happened. I have managed to get a good mold in my shoes and get them used to dinosaur talons. They are now really good shoes and don't hurt my feet anymore. They hurt at first because first of all, I have deformed feet, and second of all, I have been walking around rugged Honduras in them for a year, so that has just deformed them even more. (If you can all imagine that).

Let me start off my e-mail by telling you about some INCREDIBLE, UNHEARD OF, FIRST-RATE bargains that I got this last week to start things off. Well, I bought 4 ties for.......50 cents each! Yes, you read right, 50 cents each. Of course, I had to take advantage of that. One of them is really wide. It's my tie of power. When I wear it, I command authority. Haha.

The safest, surest, most constant way of reaching happiness and peace in our lives is through the commandments of God. It's simple people. Just obey. Mosiah 2:41.

We have been trying to re-activate a member for about 2 months now. Visiting her with members, watching good movies, and having really good messages. She is not coming still. We had a VERY spiritual lesson with her last week. I know she felt the spirit. We talked about our love for the Savior. And to not return to church for us, but for HIM. To show him your love. Not us. HIM. We said we love Him and to honor Him. I know for a fact that she felt the spirit, but she is still not coming to church. I learned in Preach My Gospel that no effort is wasted, even if it doesn't yield the immediate results. I learned that I have to always be raising a warning voice and be a powerful instrument in the Lord's hands of helping others realize the Savior's love and friendship he has to offer in the warmth of His Gospel. What a blessing we have in it!

I love the members here so much. Me and Rivas joke around that when we're hungry that we should go visit the members. Because EVERY time, they always give us something to drink, bread, tortillas, fruit, or something to that extent. They have taught me so much about selfless service and giving of ourselves to others, no matter what circumstance we find ourselves in. Wow they are kind. Wow, they have huge hearts. One of the familie has a kid who is 17 years old and he loves leaving with us and working. He is a stud. He is so funny. He is that kid that I told you about that reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite. I am thinking the dad of that family is going to be called as Branch President here and that they are going to organize a branch. We had a ward Conference last Sunday and the Stake President interviewed him and his wife together. He has to be gone the next 2 Sundays to be in Berlin (the ward who we are a part of). And he shaved his beard off that same day, we asked him about it but he said it's a secret and he can't tell anyone. Hmmmmmmm.

We had our interview last week with President. He said that I'm worthy of trust and that it was a possibility that they may close Mezapa off as a poselyting area but thanks to my efforts, it will most likely stay open. It was a really good interview. He said I'm obedient and to keep it up. We ate at McDonald's and Wendy's that day and I bought for Rivas and I.

Once in a while, the power just goes out in Mezapa in the night and we just have to return to the house. It gets pitch black. Nothing is seen. That happened when we got back after our interview so we went back to the house and lit some candles. It's gone out about 5 or 6 times on me.

Wow, there is a powerful spirit in this mission I am fulfilling. I feel on fire at times and what greater power and authority could I ask for than what I have? I have the power of God and have been set apart as one of His special witnesses. I hope I can reach my potential as a missionary and please Him and His son. I know I can with His help. I know He can mold and sculpt me into a defender of truth, a warrior against Satan and his lies and obstacles. I have the blessings that we have through the truth. Others need it too!

One thing I realized this week is that women are so much more spiritual and smart than men. They are seriously a lot better and farther along than we are. Look, the 2 baptism we have had; who have they been? Two women. They are A LOT more receptive. We have mutual every week and there's always like 6 or 7 young women and 1 or 2 young men. They are always willing to share their testimony and give counsel and nourish. And the young men are over there in the corner saying stuff like, "That's gay. I'm a pimp." It's so true. Young Women are seriously the best of the lot. They are definitely chosen daughters of God and sent here to help us men not be so dumb. I'm grateful for the strong women we have in our family. Mom said to me in her letter that young men are just kind of "clueless" all over the world and it's true. Haha, funny but true.

Our cook right now cooks boneless chicken and sometimes he cooks it spicy. It's like biting into heaven. He makes garlic bread sometimes too. He cooks REALLY good. Well, I haven't eaten anything too weird lately. That is why. I have been eating pretty normal.

I love this family that I have so much. It truly is what matters in this life. Family, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We've been taught by great parents and now we are started to become parents. We should follow their example. And now, I'm signing off, with more love than can be expressed through the internet that I possess for you all.

Elder Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment