ATTENTION
Elder Goodwin will return home from Honduras on Thursday, June 30. His mission report will be on Sunday, July 10 at 1:00 PM at the church on Greenslake Drive. All are welcome to attend.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

05.17.10

So how is the Goodwin lot doing? It was great to get all your e-mails. I seriously laugh out loud while reading them. We are such a hilarious family. I love you all a TON!!!! I am glad to always have e-mails.

Well, we had the baptism this week. The girl ended up coming late from her studies at like 4 and so it was too late to go to the waterfall or the Ocean so we just ended up having it in the same spot where we had Sandra's baptism. It's a spot called the "Pos De Los Gringos." They call it that because a couple Gringos drowned in it a long time ago. I have told the members that it's an incredibly racist and offensive name and to change it just joking around with them.

But anyways, the baptism went way good. I baptized her. Elder Rivas conducted the service. He has learned so fast. He is still learning way fast. He studies way dilligent and is a stud. That's my boy. It brings tears to my eyes seeing my boy rising up like this. I'm proud of him.

Anyways, let me tell you about what happened Sunday. As you can see from the pictures, the girl was incredibly excited and happy about her baptism. The members were mingling with her and she had a smile on, etc. It seemed like that whole day in the work went really well, and it was one of those days where I felt like I was on top of the world. I was so happy that night. We got her baptism performed and she said she will be to Sacrament meeting tomorrow at 8:50. And, that is AN AMAZING feet for anyone to do in Honduras.

But we said we'd come by at like 8:30 to pick her up and take her to church but she just said to wait for her at church. So we said OK. She ended up leaving like at 7:30 in the morning for Progreso to get some money someone was going to lend her for college. We found out later that night and we were frantically calling her in the middle of Sacrament. But the lines were realy jammed that day because it was a promo day for the phone company there. We got through on one of them, but it just cut off. So she didn't come to church to get confirmed.

That really made me discouraged and sad. I was sad for her because she didn't get the Holy Ghost and didn't get that wonderful blessing. Also sad that she just left. We went to her house that night to see what's up and she seemed pretty sad. She said, "Go ahead, yell at me and scold me." She felt pretty bad. We just told her with love that we were disappointed and how she did miss out on receiving the Holy Ghost. I shared a personal experience about the Holy Ghost and we talked about how crucial it is to get after baptism by water.

I told her what blessings she will have when she gets it. A comforter, a peace-giver, a protector, a guide. The first counselor in the bishopric just said we can get the confirmation taken care of next week and not to worry. I think it was on of those impulsive things that she did. We all do things like that. In the words of mom, just things that we say or do that we gotta do RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW. I have done things like that and mistakes like that. We act before really thinking about the near consequences. But she will receive the HG next week. Me and Rivas are going to her house most likely with some members to bring her to church next Sunday.

It made me feel like we didn't do all we should've before the baptism. I know she was ready and she said she was ready but it made me start questioning things after she didn't show up to Sacrament.

So that is my story of the baptism. It was kind of a disappointer and a downer, but I'll learn from this and make ABSOLUTELY sure, the investigator gets to church after the baptizm by utilizing members or going there personally from now on.

We had a very interesting encounter this last week. Someone from Honduras that had been living in the USA for like 15 years stopped by and was visitting the farm that he owns. We were waiting to eat and we here someone yell in an American accent, "ELDERS!" He had an air-conditioned car and gave us 3 references and asked where the church was here. It was sweet.

Also this last week, the package you sent CAME!!!! I got the new shoes, new socks, candy, CD's, alarm clock! I appreciated it all SOOOOOOOO much! I love those CD's you got me. They relaxe me. Lex De Azvedo is the best one. I was about the buy a CD case like that but lo and behold, my family sent me one. I also got the package from Tim and Mandy. I loved the ties they sent. And the candy. Also liked the ties in the Goodwin package. I got a package from Kay as well. She sent me some cookies. THANK YOU FAMILY DOMINANCE!

I can't lie, the shoes hurt my feet pretty bad. They had to undergo a really rough process molding to my feet that have gotten even more deformed since my arrival in Honduras. I just kept wearing them and wincing through the pain though and now they are getting better. I took the pictures that you all wanted too. I'll attach them of my old shoes.

There is so much apostacy here and people against the church. We visitted one of the people that we baptized and I asked her about her baptism and if she's talked to people about it casually. Looking for a potential reference. And she said yeah and when I asked her what people have said about it, she just told us nothing good. They have told her that she's going to hell now. And that the mormon church is very strange. We had a really good message with her and helped her clear things up and helped her be able to testify to those kind of ding dong people and she is happy and ready to keep moving forward in the church. We read in 2 nephi 2 and talked about the purpose of opposition and how to overcome it with Jesus Christ and his love and support.

I love our new cook. Our new cook makes AMAZING food. Wow. Last week, he made us chicken with melted cheese and tomato sauce. He always has french fries too. The lady that is in charge of the building is such a sweet lady too.

I also got to go on splits last week with an Elder who is out in an area with a beach! It was way sick. We also got to ride on bikes because they have permission in his area. It was a nice break to see a new area and mix things up a bit. Elder Rivas stayed in our area and worked with our District leaders so that Kenia could get interviewed. His name is Elder Osoy and he's from Guatemala. It was pretty nice to be with someone who knows spanish. We got things done way efficiently and effectievly. I am learning alot of love and patience with my son. I always let him teach and talk and it's hard for him to express himself at times. He stops and asks me how do you say_______? Alot. He's awesome and learning quick. I just remember how stressed I was and overwhelmed when I was new so I'm helping him out a lot. We can't do things as quick, but we can have the spirit always: and that's universal. That's one thing I taught him. I told him to not worry about expressing himself EXACTLY how you want to in spanish. Just worry about being worthy to have the guidance of the spirit and you will have success even if you don't 100 percent correct grammar at times. The spirit is universal.

While I was on the splits, we talked to us who told us his life story in like 20 minutes. He said he's full of hate. Full of biterness. Because of his negelctful parents and many other people who have wronged him in his life. We talked about who we were and what we do. That we were sent here by the Lord Jesus Christ. We help people find his love and his peace. It doesn't matter what has happened to us in our lives, we can always count on his arms being extended towards us. We can always feel a warm hug from him. Imagine when he was here on the Earth. How many things happened to him that he didn't deserve? He was spit upon. Mocked. Scourged. Beaten. Betrayed. And did he deserve any of that? No. But he gave us a perfect example of how to endure and because of what he suffered, he knows our pains. We told him all that and gave him a pamphlet and tried setting up an appointment but he said he can't commit himself. It made me sad because I knew we could help him out, but as I was walking away and now that I'm thinking I know that we touched his heart on just a simple street contact. We invited him to read the pamphlet and to never stop praying. Pray for guidance. Pray for help. Pray for understanding.

I know we touched his heart and that he felt the spirit. We left him with our number. I really hope he calls.

I got thinking last week on all the things that have happened in my life to prepare me for my mission. I am a pretty deep thinker I have realized. But anyways, I learned that as I was working for ATT, I learned to tackle problems really quickly and efficiently. They timed all our phone calls and I was always well under what the time goal was. I also learned how to empathize. Every time someone would call in with the smallest of problem like for example if their phone said the wrong time. Something small and dumb like that. We had to say, "I'm sorry to hear that." Or, "I can understand how that can be frustrating." That was so lame when I was working there and I hated doing it, but did it because it was my job and that's what my boss told me to do. But that taught me if people can see that I am showing empathy in the mission and trying to understand their feelings more, they will listen more to the Gospel and be a lot more receptive. Rather than just putting a hose to their mouth and turn the water on full blast saying, "HERE IS THE GOSPEL; ACCEPT IT! ITS TRUE! And although it is true, people won't accept it like that by force. So I actually use ATT emptathy statements here as a missionary.

I am positive that I had all those life experiences for a reason and that the Lord was and still is sculpting me to be his servant and special witness. I know for a fact. I know that if we give our life to Him, we can reach our potential here and he can chisel away our flaws and weaknesses slowly but surely.

We went to a guy's house this week and we're like, "Well, we'd like to share a message with you all that we've prepared. Can we shut off the TV for a little while?" The guy is like, ok sure. And then we sat there waiting for them all. Expecting them to get in the room together and turn off the TV, etc. But the guy and his wife were just washing dishes, walking around the rooms, watching the TV still, etc, like we weren't even there. I asked again politely, "Ok, well, can we please shut the tv off?" The guy was watching a news channel that just goes around filming dead bodies and ghorry scenes. They were doing a close-up on a guy who had been shot up and was sitting in a little pond. There was a bunch of blood and stuff floating around him and the guys just like, "Hang on it's almost over." I'm like berrba. I said don't wanna see this bloody, dead body, can we get the TV off? So we finally got the TV off and shared a message with them.

This last week, we found a member that was baptized in San Pedro and went to church weekly with her husband. We were just doing contacts and found a lady who moved here a month ago. She said, "You know, my sister is a mormon, she's inside. Wanna talk to her?" We gladly said yes. She ended up slowly telling us her why she was in Mezapa and about something tragic that had happened in her life in December. Her husband was in an accident and died. She said that he just didn't come home that night.

She said it was EXTREMELY difficult. She said they did everything together and they didn't have any marital problems but had moved to Mezapa. We told her that we know that her husband is working in heaven and that's why we were able to find her here. We told her that God is a loving and fair God. And that he has provided a solution for things like this. We just briefly talked about trials and that God knows our limit and when life gets to hard to stand, we need to kneel. And that she will feel of our Savior's love and her husband's love as she does so. And that because of Jesus Christ, we can be sealed to our loved ones in the temple. (They hadn't been sealed).

Elder Rivas has a way at getting to people's hearts like this because something happened in his life when he was just 10. His own mom died. How sad. But he told her she can pull through. We invited her to church and she said it won't be the same because he won't be with me. But we said he will in spirit sitting right next to her and we will be there and the members will be there and you will feel of the spirit. She came to church.

She later told us that the night after we talked with her, she slept better than she ever had since her husband's death. It was a very sweet, tender moments. It is such a joy to be finding needs and situations like this and to bring in the teaching's of our Father's perfect plan. I know I'm called of him and that He guided us to that house and helped us have a spiritual message with her. Her name is Andrea.

Haha, gall the youth here remind of myself when I was in Young Mens. This last week, one of the members taught the lesson on Sunday and it was on the law of chastity and it mentioned homosexuality. She read a really descriptive part on it and of course, the Young Men were falling on the floor laughing and dissing on each other and saying hey, listen, because this part about homosexuality is for you. I was like, gall. Haha. But I can't lie, it was funny. They all just don't ever take anything for an insult and laugh their heads off at everything. Gall these Young Men. I've learned to laugh and smile rather than be frustrated or angry. But they are not reverent at all. They do not quiet down. Even for the first counselor in the Bishopric. That's why we have the class outside. I have learned to develop a lot of patience and love. I sure wish you could all hear some of the absurd and completely in-appropriate comments the members make to me. It makes me go red. But the church is so young here and we are teaching them gradually but surely.

On Wednesday, we have the last interview with President Cruz!!!!

I love this work. I love you all too.

Elder Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment