Hey Family,
What is happening? Do you want to hear a cool story? Ok, I'll tell
you one. Don't worry.
Last Tuesday, March 1, do you know what time I got out of bed? Well,
if you guessed 1:30 AM, you are right. I got up and got ready with
another elder who was going with me to San Pedro Sula. I had no money
whatsoever, which caused a dilemma because we needed 300 lempiras to
pay for the trip from Olanchito to San Pedro. Luckily, I have what is
called a "gringo card."
So I tried getting money out of an ATM and it rejected my card thrice.
"What the heck?!" I angrily thought. But I looked at the expiration
date on my credit card and sure enough it expired on February 28, the
day before I needed it. Nooooooooo! Our neighbor/landlord is member
and he woke up and told us he was going to borrow us the money. So he
did, and that's how we got to SPS. Cool story, huh?
So that brings me to my first point in this e-mail: I kind of need
that credit card they sent you. Thank you.
I am loving things here in Colon. It is a sick zone. It is extremely
different from all the other zones where I have been, but I love it.
I am in the second most remote area in the whole mission, other than
the islands. I really, really like my area. We have a lot of people
who are progressing excellently (I don't know if that's a word or not)
towards baptism. In fact, last week we had 1. Henri. He moved here
about a month ago and lives with members. He has been to church 3
times and we put a baptism date with him last week.
The leadership meeting was really good. It was for the zone leaders,
district leaders, and trainers of the mission. They talked about the
importance of the BOM, extending commitments, extending the baptismal
invitation, and following the spirit. It was really neat. It was
also good that we were served pizza for lunch one day and spaghetti
for lunch the next day.
I got back to Colon on Thursday but ended up going back to my area on
Saturday because I had to do splits with the zone leaders because one
of them had to do the interview of Henri. So it was a really long
week and I am thankful to finally be in my area on a normal schedule
again.
We are also teaching a lady. She is a single mom. She has
2 kids who can be baptized. She had a baptismal date for last week
but when we talked to her on the phone, she said that she doesn't feel
prepared and wants to learn more. So we assigned her a chapter in the
BOM and we are going to visit her this week. Her whole family is
member.
We are also teaching another lady. All of her family members
are member except her. She had a baptismal date about 4 or 5 months
ago, but left Olanchito because she found a job. Now she's back and
she came to church yesterday. She said, "I have finally arrived at
the truth." She has been to church many times and we did the
baptismal interview questions to be sure she is fulfilling with the
commandments and she is good to go with everything. So we have a
baptismal date with her this weekend.
We're looking for families right now. I want to find a complete
family here in my last area, teach them the Gospel, and see their
baptism.
I think I told you all this in my last e-mail, but I would prefer to
be district leader 9,000 times more than being zone leader. I am glad
for the experience, but it's good to have it behind me and be district
leader once again. "Been there, done that." My bet is that President
Veirs leaves me here with Elder Ellett 2 changes and then I train in
my last change.
This area is dryer than my other areas and my allergies have really
been acting up. But I have some allergy pills to be able to combat
the allergens, don't worry.
Well, the work goes on and we're still teaching people and looking for
more to bring the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. Not too much else
to say this week. We are really trying to use the BOM more and
answering people's doubts with it. It really is a powerful book.
It's the tool the Lord has given to the missionaries of His church.
What is the purpose of a tool? To make the job easier. A carpenter
couldn't do his work without a hammer, a missionary can't do his job
without effectively using the BOM.
I gave my testimony in the branch and I said, "I know that families
can be eternal. I hope to have my own one day, in fact in 4 months I
will be looking for it." The members all got a good laugh out of
that.
The church is true. Although other churches may have good intentions,
they don't have a fulness of the blessings, principles, and light that
is only found in the Church of Jesus Christ. I really was blessed to
be able to think of a good example recently. "Let's say you have a
new job and your first day on the job, your boss asks you, now let me
explain to you a little about this job......you can decide how much we
will pay you. Do you want us to pay you $20 an hour or $50 an hour?"
Obviously, fifty dollars an hour.
And people receive more blessings and more knowledge about the Gospel
with Jesus Christ's true church. Families are forever and we have the
universal solution to life's challenges and difficulties. When things
get rough, and when storms are raging, we can ALWAYS find solace and
comfort in the teachings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The more we
learn about Jesus Christ, the more we will want to follow Him, and the
more we follow Him, our joy, happiness, and peace will become deeper
and stronger. "He walked such a lonely path so that we don't have
to." Jeffrey R. Holland. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
Steve Prefontaine
Elder Goodwin
What is happening? Do you want to hear a cool story? Ok, I'll tell
you one. Don't worry.
Last Tuesday, March 1, do you know what time I got out of bed? Well,
if you guessed 1:30 AM, you are right. I got up and got ready with
another elder who was going with me to San Pedro Sula. I had no money
whatsoever, which caused a dilemma because we needed 300 lempiras to
pay for the trip from Olanchito to San Pedro. Luckily, I have what is
called a "gringo card."
So I tried getting money out of an ATM and it rejected my card thrice.
"What the heck?!" I angrily thought. But I looked at the expiration
date on my credit card and sure enough it expired on February 28, the
day before I needed it. Nooooooooo! Our neighbor/landlord is member
and he woke up and told us he was going to borrow us the money. So he
did, and that's how we got to SPS. Cool story, huh?
So that brings me to my first point in this e-mail: I kind of need
that credit card they sent you. Thank you.
I am loving things here in Colon. It is a sick zone. It is extremely
different from all the other zones where I have been, but I love it.
I am in the second most remote area in the whole mission, other than
the islands. I really, really like my area. We have a lot of people
who are progressing excellently (I don't know if that's a word or not)
towards baptism. In fact, last week we had 1. Henri. He moved here
about a month ago and lives with members. He has been to church 3
times and we put a baptism date with him last week.
The leadership meeting was really good. It was for the zone leaders,
district leaders, and trainers of the mission. They talked about the
importance of the BOM, extending commitments, extending the baptismal
invitation, and following the spirit. It was really neat. It was
also good that we were served pizza for lunch one day and spaghetti
for lunch the next day.
I got back to Colon on Thursday but ended up going back to my area on
Saturday because I had to do splits with the zone leaders because one
of them had to do the interview of Henri. So it was a really long
week and I am thankful to finally be in my area on a normal schedule
again.
We are also teaching a lady. She is a single mom. She has
2 kids who can be baptized. She had a baptismal date for last week
but when we talked to her on the phone, she said that she doesn't feel
prepared and wants to learn more. So we assigned her a chapter in the
BOM and we are going to visit her this week. Her whole family is
member.
We are also teaching another lady. All of her family members
are member except her. She had a baptismal date about 4 or 5 months
ago, but left Olanchito because she found a job. Now she's back and
she came to church yesterday. She said, "I have finally arrived at
the truth." She has been to church many times and we did the
baptismal interview questions to be sure she is fulfilling with the
commandments and she is good to go with everything. So we have a
baptismal date with her this weekend.
We're looking for families right now. I want to find a complete
family here in my last area, teach them the Gospel, and see their
baptism.
I think I told you all this in my last e-mail, but I would prefer to
be district leader 9,000 times more than being zone leader. I am glad
for the experience, but it's good to have it behind me and be district
leader once again. "Been there, done that." My bet is that President
Veirs leaves me here with Elder Ellett 2 changes and then I train in
my last change.
This area is dryer than my other areas and my allergies have really
been acting up. But I have some allergy pills to be able to combat
the allergens, don't worry.
Well, the work goes on and we're still teaching people and looking for
more to bring the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. Not too much else
to say this week. We are really trying to use the BOM more and
answering people's doubts with it. It really is a powerful book.
It's the tool the Lord has given to the missionaries of His church.
What is the purpose of a tool? To make the job easier. A carpenter
couldn't do his work without a hammer, a missionary can't do his job
without effectively using the BOM.
I gave my testimony in the branch and I said, "I know that families
can be eternal. I hope to have my own one day, in fact in 4 months I
will be looking for it." The members all got a good laugh out of
that.
The church is true. Although other churches may have good intentions,
they don't have a fulness of the blessings, principles, and light that
is only found in the Church of Jesus Christ. I really was blessed to
be able to think of a good example recently. "Let's say you have a
new job and your first day on the job, your boss asks you, now let me
explain to you a little about this job......you can decide how much we
will pay you. Do you want us to pay you $20 an hour or $50 an hour?"
Obviously, fifty dollars an hour.
And people receive more blessings and more knowledge about the Gospel
with Jesus Christ's true church. Families are forever and we have the
universal solution to life's challenges and difficulties. When things
get rough, and when storms are raging, we can ALWAYS find solace and
comfort in the teachings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The more we
learn about Jesus Christ, the more we will want to follow Him, and the
more we follow Him, our joy, happiness, and peace will become deeper
and stronger. "He walked such a lonely path so that we don't have
to." Jeffrey R. Holland. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
Steve Prefontaine
Elder Goodwin

No comments:
Post a Comment