I figured this week that OCD is an amazing, amazing talent. Some OCD things that I have developed so far: every 15th day and 1st day of the month, I shine my shoes, every time I take my backpack off I look at a notebook of words, every Saturday night I condition my hair, I eat my cereal at 7:15 and then a piece of toast at exactly 9:00, etc. I have some more, but I can't really think of any more right now but it's an amazing power. Especially for learning a new language!
I am also glad that I ate nothing but tomato soup for a few years. It's basically the same food here every day. I eat Corn Flakes with sugar, rice, beans, some sort of lettuce, and baleadas basically every day. I eat Corn Flakes because we have to buy our own breakfast and Corn Flakes is the cheapest one. But tons of people that have only been out 6 more weeks than me are already complaining about the food, but I'm just like, ah, it's not too bad, I can handle it.
This week, I caught a Centiped in my journal. While it was crawling around, I just taped it in my journal and caught it alive. Dominance.
This week, we tried to work alot more with the members. We would go to a lot of their houses and just share a scripture and try and get them to feel the spirit. We thought that when they could feel of our spirit and that we were capable, good missionaries, they would give us good references. Because, basically everyone knows someone who would be interested in the church. It's just a matter of waiting for some good missionaries to teach them. We didn't get many this week, but we're going to continue visit the members for like 10 15 minutes and look for ways to serve them.
I have taught Rivera the art of the monkey bump. My young apprentice is learning. He got me way good this week. I couldn't move my arm for like 2 days.
Ok, so this Wednesday, we were just talking to the bishop and he asked for a priesthood blessing for his calling, job, and responsibility at home. He jokingly asked who was more worthy, me or Rivera. Rivera immediately pointed at me and I gave my first priesthood blessing! It was a miracle! I said quite a bit of stuff and the Lord loosened my tongue. I was kind of confused why he even asked for the blessing but Sunday I found out.
This Sunday, out of the clear blue, they released the entire bishopric! It was a historic day. And guess who was called to be 2nd counselor? One of my converts baptized only a month ago! Freak! Don't scare him off people! He is a stud. His wife has been a member for like 17 years but we baptized him and his 3 kids about a month ago. He'll do fine, I have faith in him. Obviously the Lord does too!
We had to do that same exact service project again this week. Apparently, we didn't finish it or something. I was again like Rocky and developed some amazing blisters. I got some pics this time. You'll get them later to look at them and stuff.
Another awesome thing that happened this week was United States played Honduras Saturday. I did some serious trash talking to the members this whole past week. I told them all that Honduras would lose to a team without legs and they all got way fired up. It was hilarious. I predicted 3 to 2. The funny thing is, that's exactly what the score was. So I told them all at church the next day that I told them before the game. It was greatness.
Hey, I got your package this week. It looks like a package takes about 2-3 weeks to get here. Thanks for the febreeze, now I don't ever need to do laundry. All that stuff was awesome. One thing I wish they had here was spanish pass along cards or cards about the church in spanish like articles of faith or something.
Guess who we baptized this week? The kid who had a problem with smoking. It was awesome. He has come a long way and has stopped smoking. He says that he's even thinking about a mission so that is so sweet. I will be sending pics for your viewing pleasure. All the work we did with him was all worth it. We read him Alma's conversion story and that was a really strong spirit.
We taught a guy who was 87 yesterday. His wife has passed away so we taught him the Plan of Salvation. He basically already accepted baptism after one lesson so that is good. I could feel the spirit as we were teaching him.
As for the guy who is boyfriend with an RM, he is doing good and still coming to church. We have an appointment with him this Wednesday. We have quiet a few potential baptisms right now and are working hard. I am speaking so much better now and am literally experiencing the gift of tongues. My OCD studies, prayer, all of your prayers, and practicing has paid off. It really is a miracle.
Then we have a kid who is like 10 who we have taught and stuff and wants to be baptized but we need to get permission from his parents first. They are kind of on the ropes whether they want to allow it or not so we have been praying that their hearts will be softened.
My first few weeks, I didn't know any investigators, any members, or where anyone lived but holy cow I have noticed an amazing difference in just 7 weeks. The Lord is helping me.
This week, I noticed that the stereotype that little boys just hunt, kill, and destroy while little girls nicely share and have tea parties is true. I was at a members house and there was a little boy. He was running around throwing toys at people and kicking his toys all over the house and yelling warcalls. There was a couple girls sitting in the corner and they were pouring each other drinks and nicely smiling at each other. It made me laugh.
Yeah, I play the piano every week here and I have played Canon once or twice. Right now, I am actually practicing with the primary and it's hilarious. The kids just run around in circles basically and the leader gets frustrated and scolds them. Then they're like, ok fine, we'll sing. But they hardly ever have a piano player and usually just have to do the songs by ear so they're glad to have a piano player.
I know that this Gospel is what the people need and I pray to be the instrument in Heavenly Father's hands into bringing it into their lives! I love you all! Sooooooooo much! Will you please pray for me to have more courage to open my mouth and talk to people on the streets?
Elder Goodwin
I am also glad that I ate nothing but tomato soup for a few years. It's basically the same food here every day. I eat Corn Flakes with sugar, rice, beans, some sort of lettuce, and baleadas basically every day. I eat Corn Flakes because we have to buy our own breakfast and Corn Flakes is the cheapest one. But tons of people that have only been out 6 more weeks than me are already complaining about the food, but I'm just like, ah, it's not too bad, I can handle it.
This week, I caught a Centiped in my journal. While it was crawling around, I just taped it in my journal and caught it alive. Dominance.
This week, we tried to work alot more with the members. We would go to a lot of their houses and just share a scripture and try and get them to feel the spirit. We thought that when they could feel of our spirit and that we were capable, good missionaries, they would give us good references. Because, basically everyone knows someone who would be interested in the church. It's just a matter of waiting for some good missionaries to teach them. We didn't get many this week, but we're going to continue visit the members for like 10 15 minutes and look for ways to serve them.
I have taught Rivera the art of the monkey bump. My young apprentice is learning. He got me way good this week. I couldn't move my arm for like 2 days.
Ok, so this Wednesday, we were just talking to the bishop and he asked for a priesthood blessing for his calling, job, and responsibility at home. He jokingly asked who was more worthy, me or Rivera. Rivera immediately pointed at me and I gave my first priesthood blessing! It was a miracle! I said quite a bit of stuff and the Lord loosened my tongue. I was kind of confused why he even asked for the blessing but Sunday I found out.
This Sunday, out of the clear blue, they released the entire bishopric! It was a historic day. And guess who was called to be 2nd counselor? One of my converts baptized only a month ago! Freak! Don't scare him off people! He is a stud. His wife has been a member for like 17 years but we baptized him and his 3 kids about a month ago. He'll do fine, I have faith in him. Obviously the Lord does too!
We had to do that same exact service project again this week. Apparently, we didn't finish it or something. I was again like Rocky and developed some amazing blisters. I got some pics this time. You'll get them later to look at them and stuff.
Another awesome thing that happened this week was United States played Honduras Saturday. I did some serious trash talking to the members this whole past week. I told them all that Honduras would lose to a team without legs and they all got way fired up. It was hilarious. I predicted 3 to 2. The funny thing is, that's exactly what the score was. So I told them all at church the next day that I told them before the game. It was greatness.
Hey, I got your package this week. It looks like a package takes about 2-3 weeks to get here. Thanks for the febreeze, now I don't ever need to do laundry. All that stuff was awesome. One thing I wish they had here was spanish pass along cards or cards about the church in spanish like articles of faith or something.
Guess who we baptized this week? The kid who had a problem with smoking. It was awesome. He has come a long way and has stopped smoking. He says that he's even thinking about a mission so that is so sweet. I will be sending pics for your viewing pleasure. All the work we did with him was all worth it. We read him Alma's conversion story and that was a really strong spirit.
We taught a guy who was 87 yesterday. His wife has passed away so we taught him the Plan of Salvation. He basically already accepted baptism after one lesson so that is good. I could feel the spirit as we were teaching him.
As for the guy who is boyfriend with an RM, he is doing good and still coming to church. We have an appointment with him this Wednesday. We have quiet a few potential baptisms right now and are working hard. I am speaking so much better now and am literally experiencing the gift of tongues. My OCD studies, prayer, all of your prayers, and practicing has paid off. It really is a miracle.
Then we have a kid who is like 10 who we have taught and stuff and wants to be baptized but we need to get permission from his parents first. They are kind of on the ropes whether they want to allow it or not so we have been praying that their hearts will be softened.
My first few weeks, I didn't know any investigators, any members, or where anyone lived but holy cow I have noticed an amazing difference in just 7 weeks. The Lord is helping me.
This week, I noticed that the stereotype that little boys just hunt, kill, and destroy while little girls nicely share and have tea parties is true. I was at a members house and there was a little boy. He was running around throwing toys at people and kicking his toys all over the house and yelling warcalls. There was a couple girls sitting in the corner and they were pouring each other drinks and nicely smiling at each other. It made me laugh.
Yeah, I play the piano every week here and I have played Canon once or twice. Right now, I am actually practicing with the primary and it's hilarious. The kids just run around in circles basically and the leader gets frustrated and scolds them. Then they're like, ok fine, we'll sing. But they hardly ever have a piano player and usually just have to do the songs by ear so they're glad to have a piano player.
I know that this Gospel is what the people need and I pray to be the instrument in Heavenly Father's hands into bringing it into their lives! I love you all! Sooooooooo much! Will you please pray for me to have more courage to open my mouth and talk to people on the streets?
Elder Goodwin

Thanks for the news and updates! I have to say this is the highlight of my week-reading Bryce's letters are like sunshine to the soul. He is a fantastic writer (What a great gift for a missionary and his family!). I'll pass this news on to my kids...and tell your mom we have tickets to Switzerland. We are going to pick up Elder Roy on January 5th:) Hugs to your whole family!!!
ReplyDelete