The highlight of the week. I got my new companion and I think I got the best change in the whole mission. I have a WAY sweet companion. He is gringo and his name is Elder Sorenson. Everyone thinks he's lying when he says he's gringo because he speaks spanish so good. He has a WAY good accent. He is hilarious. I just walk around all day laughing my head off at everything he says. He seriously is one of the funniest kids I've ever known. He gave a talk in sacrament meeting and he said at the beginning, "Well, I'm Elder Sorenson and I like baleadas, but without cheese. So all the sisters from the Relief Society can write that down if they want." Haha, err. He has been out in the mission for 18 months. We came together. He plays basketball. Man, I love the kid. I have such a strong desire that they leave us together for 2 changes, but we'll see how it happens. He is so calm and relaxed about everything and it is good for me to have a companion like that because I've got a knack for worrying.
We had 9 investigators at church last Sunday. Sweet, huh? There were 3 families that came! YES!! It was a great day. Our teacher didn't have a class ready so Moroni (our mission leader), Elder Sorenson, and I just taught the class. We are going to have a lot of success together. I know it.
Another highlight of the week is that we got to see an apostle of the Lord. He came and talked to us and really motivated us. He had a really neat spirit. We had the presiding bishop of the church, Bishop Burton, and a seventy, Elder Martino as well. Elder Christofferson said that us missionaries are basically his companion because we are the next step down after apostles. So he thanked us for being his companion. He told us to answer every question that an investigator has with the BOM, because if they gain a testimony of it, they will have the desire to be baptized. He opened up the meeting for questions and answered a few questions as well. He took a picture with each zone too. They told us we couldn't take pictures with our cameras, so we didn't.
He said to also learn from President Veirs and Hermana Veirs as much as we can because they are very careful in choosing mission presidents. Not just from what they say or do, but from their example. I think that truly makes a leader: their example. There are a lot of people who are good with words and who can deliver a good speach, but I think that the example is the most important part of being a leader. President Veirs is pretty fun. He is pretty spiritual too. It was funny, at the meeting an Elder asked a question to Elder christofferson and Elder Christofferson didn't even answer it, he just turned to President Veirs and said, "President, what do you think?" It kind of caught President Veirs off guard, haha. But he got up, looked all serious and then said, "Well, I don't have an opinion." Haha, but then he answered the question.
We got to shake his hand too. I went up to him and he was just smiling at me and I was expecting to just shake his hand and get back to my seat, but he said something to me. It startled me a bit. Haha. I was like, "Oh man, what do I say? What do I do?" I didn't know if he was talking to me in spanish or in English, but I was like, "WHAT!?" Like a dilly dally and he just said, "Where's your home?" But I shook his hand and talked with him face to face! Sweet!
He left us with an apostolic blessing and blessed us with a lot of great things. One that stuck out to me was that he blessed us to be able to feel a fulness of the spirit of the Lord.
We have had some really spiritual lessons last week. I have so much trust with Elder Sorenson. He's such a stud. We taught a family that has a son on his mission and challenged them to pray about Joseph Smith and the spirit was VERY strong in that lesson. They all committed to praying.
We also taught a lady that said she's not believing the story of Joseph Smith because "his name isn't in the Bible." And she also had the misconception that we worship Joseph Smith. Elder Sorenson talked to her about Moses and asked her what she thinks of when she hears Moses. She just said that he was a prophet and that God communicated with him. And Sorenson asked her the question, "But do you worship him?" No. It's the same thing with Joseph Smith. He was a prophet called of God, but we do not worship him.
We challenged her to pray about it as well.
The Bishop wants to help the Hernandez Family really bad. They are the ones who need to go to El Salvador for a document needed for their wedding. The bishop said he would be willing to donate the money for the transportation to El Salvador so they can get the document. Get something together with all the members. They have now been to church 4 times and are really excited about having a baptism. They are such a nice family. The wife told us that her husband is very closed when it comes to visitors at their home, but really likes receiving us. They said that ever since we started visitting them, they've felt more unity and their problems have been aliviated. They have realized firsthand what a blessing the Gospel is in their lives. They realized this by living the principles we have been teaching them.
We have interviews this week with President on Wednesday. He only has them once every 2 or 3 changes. With President Cruz, we had them every change.
I love you all! The Gospel is true and Jesus Christ died for our sins so that we could make the correct decisions that will lead us back into his presence.
Elder Goodwin
We had 9 investigators at church last Sunday. Sweet, huh? There were 3 families that came! YES!! It was a great day. Our teacher didn't have a class ready so Moroni (our mission leader), Elder Sorenson, and I just taught the class. We are going to have a lot of success together. I know it.
Another highlight of the week is that we got to see an apostle of the Lord. He came and talked to us and really motivated us. He had a really neat spirit. We had the presiding bishop of the church, Bishop Burton, and a seventy, Elder Martino as well. Elder Christofferson said that us missionaries are basically his companion because we are the next step down after apostles. So he thanked us for being his companion. He told us to answer every question that an investigator has with the BOM, because if they gain a testimony of it, they will have the desire to be baptized. He opened up the meeting for questions and answered a few questions as well. He took a picture with each zone too. They told us we couldn't take pictures with our cameras, so we didn't.
He said to also learn from President Veirs and Hermana Veirs as much as we can because they are very careful in choosing mission presidents. Not just from what they say or do, but from their example. I think that truly makes a leader: their example. There are a lot of people who are good with words and who can deliver a good speach, but I think that the example is the most important part of being a leader. President Veirs is pretty fun. He is pretty spiritual too. It was funny, at the meeting an Elder asked a question to Elder christofferson and Elder Christofferson didn't even answer it, he just turned to President Veirs and said, "President, what do you think?" It kind of caught President Veirs off guard, haha. But he got up, looked all serious and then said, "Well, I don't have an opinion." Haha, but then he answered the question.
We got to shake his hand too. I went up to him and he was just smiling at me and I was expecting to just shake his hand and get back to my seat, but he said something to me. It startled me a bit. Haha. I was like, "Oh man, what do I say? What do I do?" I didn't know if he was talking to me in spanish or in English, but I was like, "WHAT!?" Like a dilly dally and he just said, "Where's your home?" But I shook his hand and talked with him face to face! Sweet!
He left us with an apostolic blessing and blessed us with a lot of great things. One that stuck out to me was that he blessed us to be able to feel a fulness of the spirit of the Lord.
We have had some really spiritual lessons last week. I have so much trust with Elder Sorenson. He's such a stud. We taught a family that has a son on his mission and challenged them to pray about Joseph Smith and the spirit was VERY strong in that lesson. They all committed to praying.
We also taught a lady that said she's not believing the story of Joseph Smith because "his name isn't in the Bible." And she also had the misconception that we worship Joseph Smith. Elder Sorenson talked to her about Moses and asked her what she thinks of when she hears Moses. She just said that he was a prophet and that God communicated with him. And Sorenson asked her the question, "But do you worship him?" No. It's the same thing with Joseph Smith. He was a prophet called of God, but we do not worship him.
We challenged her to pray about it as well.
The Bishop wants to help the Hernandez Family really bad. They are the ones who need to go to El Salvador for a document needed for their wedding. The bishop said he would be willing to donate the money for the transportation to El Salvador so they can get the document. Get something together with all the members. They have now been to church 4 times and are really excited about having a baptism. They are such a nice family. The wife told us that her husband is very closed when it comes to visitors at their home, but really likes receiving us. They said that ever since we started visitting them, they've felt more unity and their problems have been aliviated. They have realized firsthand what a blessing the Gospel is in their lives. They realized this by living the principles we have been teaching them.
We have interviews this week with President on Wednesday. He only has them once every 2 or 3 changes. With President Cruz, we had them every change.
I love you all! The Gospel is true and Jesus Christ died for our sins so that we could make the correct decisions that will lead us back into his presence.
Elder Goodwin

No comments:
Post a Comment