ATTENTION
Elder Goodwin will return home from Honduras on Thursday, June 30. His mission report will be on Sunday, July 10 at 1:00 PM at the church on Greenslake Drive. All are welcome to attend.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

06.28.10

FAMILY!

Hello there. What is new? How are the Goodwin's. Gall. I'm saddening myself. I really have to focus to type English that is gramatically correct. I was about to type how is the family Goodwin? Because that's how it is in spanish. You say familia Buesos for example. Anyways, just ask some Latino to translate this e-mail if you can't decipher it.

I was way tired last week. I fell asleep way easy. There are too many hills here. Golly. Every time we go somewhere, we have to hike up a 90 degree angle practically. Well, maybe not that steep, but still. I've been looking for a good deal on a donkey or something to travel more efficiently. I've offered to pay my companion if he carries me up the hill as well, but to no avail.

WE HAVE A BAPTISM THIS WEEK! YEAH! He is 12 years old and is going to church and is good to go. He is pretty smart too. It will be sad to baptize in a baptizmal font, I know I will miss baptizing in a river. That was pretty cool.

We got nailed this week with a huge Hurricane. We just had to get to higher ground and tuck into a ball in the pila. President Cruz told us if we were reading the scriptures while the hurricane was going on, that we would be protected. So we were tucked in a ball and reading the scriptures in the pila while it struck. Haha, just messing. We have been having some rain, but no hurricane has come. If it does come, I will pull an Elder Kolopoki and go rescuing children in distress.

Kids really do have a special place in my heart though. I love a lot of them here already. They are so tender and innocent and fun.

In this area, my companion told me we were going to have to wash our own clothes in the pila. I was like, no way jose. I found someone that is willing to wash my regular clothes if I pay her, but I will be washing my garments. Someone can end up spending 2 hours just washing 1 weeks worth of clothes from one person. They just scrub the clothes on a rock with soap. I didn't want to kill precious P day time slaving in the Pila so I devised a better method. I just pile all the clothes into a bucket, put some soap in it, stand in there and start pounding it around with my feet. Every minute or two, I rotate the clothes and I do that for about 20 minutes. Just stand there walking in place. They came out very clean last week. Very clean. I was proud of myself for devising that idea. I couldn't miss the opportunity of pointing out to my companion that he spent 2 hours and I only spent 20 minutes. It was funny.

I always find the most "interesting" people with the most "interesting" stories. This last week, we found a really inactive family. We actually reactivated the son this week. He's 14. Had a member stop by for him. Anyways, the Grandpa stopped going to church because he had a urinary infection and had to go pee VERY often and was embarrassed to do so in church so he stopped going. Err. He knows Joseph Smith is a prophet. Knows it's true, but started going to another Evangelist church and now refuses to stop going to the Evangelist church. Pull my hair out! We taught him of his commitment he made when he got baptized in the church and helped him understand that he still can go back.

We talked to a lady yesterday who started saying all she needs to know is in the Bible and started preaching to us for a while after we briefly talked about BOM. I told her if you want to know if a book is true, it is wise to do WHAT with that book? She's like read it. Of course. Duh. But she didn't want to read it. We showed her scripts in the Bible that talk about BOM but still refused to read it. She has her agency. She can decide. It definitely is frustrating though. I know that it will just help people. Not cause them harm or damn them like people think.

People like to go around talking to pastors and other random people about our church here in Honduras. They like to listen to what negative things they will say about the church. That we worship Joseph Smith. That we are a demonic church. That we have another Bible. That we don't believe in the Bible. That we preach false doctrine. Etc, etc, etc. I like to give people a very simple example with that. I ask them something like this: "Let's say I want to know the rules of soccer. Would I go to the house of a basketball player and say to him, What are the rules of soccer? No, he would know the rules of basketball. I would have to go to a soccer players house to ask him about the rules of soccer." If we want to know something about the church we represent, we need to ask members who go to the church. If we don't, we will get false information. The pastors in the Evangelist churches here take things way out of context and people listen to anything they say.

We have another situation we're working on here in Almendros as well. There is a SWEET member who was baptized about 2 months ago. He was a drinker, a robber, had tattoos, and was a thug. But he listened to my companion and the other missionary who was here and got baptized. Changed his whole life around. Was offering to go out and teach with the missionaries, going to church, and reading like crazy the BOM. Amazing. Anyways, something that he did in his past ended up coming back to bite him. The police showed up to his house and took him off to jail unexpectedly one day. So he has been in jail for about 2 or 3 weeks and asked for his Bible, BOM, and Gospel Principles book and is reading them in Jail. He hired a lawyer and is trying to fight it. From what I hear, it was over something pretty minor and that the police over-reacted. Anyways, we shared with his wife last week D&C 121 where it talks about JS in liberty jail. How long? Why? And then God responds and speaks peace to his soul. She was about crying and really loved it. She said she's going to show him that chapter the next time she visits him.

My companion is a stud. I love him. He's way happy and has a lot of energy. Way patient too. He is very loving and teaches excellently (I'm not sure if that's the right word). He will be sr. comp next change.

Yeah, we did get a lot of rain this last week. I have a pretty good umbrella though so that is good. It only cost me about 2 dollars and 50 cents. I was pretty happy with my stellar purchase. Good idea, maybe I'll construct my boat out of duct tape. My next duct tape project will be a sweet tie. I've been pondering it. Seriously. Gray and red.

It's kind of hard to get some good, sound medical advice here. Maybe there are some people that were educated in the USA that could give you good tips of things to do with heat rashes. The buses here are the crazieset ones so far in my mission. I try not to look out the window too much or else I'll yell out screams of terror. He gets like 2 inches to other cars and just weaves in an out like he's driving a motorcycle. Yeah, I'm playing the piano in Almendros as well. Not at zone conferences. There are other people that can play.

The Gospel is true. Some people make it way complicated and say there's a bunch of better things they can be doing, or that there isn't any time in their "busy" schedule, but it's really quite simple. If we obey, we are blessed. If not, we have no promise and are more susceptible to Satan's traps. I like how it says in Alma 47 that Amalakiah poisoned the king "by degrees." It's true. Satan will get us and poison us "by degrees" until he's got us with his strong chains. If we are in his chains, Jesus Christ can remove them. I love Jesus Christ. He is so patient and loving with us. I know that He only wants the best for us and that He knows our discouragements, sadnesses, and disappointments. I know that he regoices and is happy when we have success and are doing good. Joseph Smith saw God and Jesus Christ. No one will be able to take that away from me. Because I have received my answer from Heavenly Father. I love you all. Keep both feet in the Gospel!

Elder Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment